Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Research - Push Notification in Mobile Ecosystem in 2011 - Part 1


Sometime in 2011, I came to know about push notification being used in mobile ecosystem. I did a short research on this topic. I had made some notes at that time, now in 2014, things are evolved a lot.  Publishing my research on blog so that in curious tech historian can use it their studies.

Its quite a long data sheet so I would be publishing it in parts.

I set the agenda first, here is the basic questions of topics I had tried to discover
1) What is Push Notification?
2) How does it work?
3) How does it look like?
4) Does it supported by different major CellPhone OS providers like IPhone, Android, Nokia, Blackberry? Yes!
5) Any Thirdparty Push Service Providers? Yes
a) Urban Airship provides SDK which developer can use while creating their apps.
b) PyAPNS - daemon
c) Xtify
d) Appoxee
e) Pusher / spire.io/socket.io
f) PubNub [In-App, PNS doesnt work when app is closed]
g) App42( Shephertz)
6) Does they charge for Push Notification service? yes but minimal
7) What are use cases?
8) How can we use it?
9) What will be the business case?
10) Is it possible work out something which connects with other solutions?
11) Whats in Market
12) Will SMS gets obsolete, because of Push Notifications on Mobile?

 In following blogs, I will be publishing answers to above questions.

No comments: