Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Welcoming 2015 with Life of Pi and Life of Manmohan!

It was start of 2015 and It was by accident, I suddenly picked up a book that was long pending on my bookshelf for almost last 3 years. I borrowed it from a colleague from office when I first heard about a movie on the same book. It was "Life of Pi"

I never really showed a courage to pick it up and read it. But thanks to new year without any plan. Only good thing to do was to pick up something to read. I started reading book midway not knowing whether I would read it or not. But fortunately I did continue and completed it. It was great accomplishment as I think I read and read after long time.

So good start always a good for something. So I got hold of one more new book. thanks again to one more colleague of mine, It was again accidental..not mine ..but its book name "The Accidental Prime Minister", A memoir written by Mr Sanjaya Baru, PMs ex-media advisor. I still remember when this book was unleashed. Media and Politicians did jump on it, taking it in all wrong sense, reading selectively through it to malign Mr. Prime Minister. Anyways when I got hold of it, It was good read in the sense, One knows a lot about PMO, highest decision making body of India. As I always believed to not believe history as its always one sided view of things. This particular history book tells Baru side of story. He succeeded in telling it which keeps you interested in reading the book. I finished this book in 3 days in whatever time I could gather from my other tasks.

This book may be offending or pleasing for person of pro or anti congress respectively, but for person like me its just quite exciting to get to know about how things happen infact unleash.

Somehow I do have respect for Dr Singh, I dont how it is there but its there. so I would like to end this blog by adding excerpt from Dr's undelivered Speech at vote of confidence for Nuclear deal, Hope you get my point.


--- Dr Manmohan Singh ---

I have often said that I am a politician by accident. I have held many diverse responsibilities. I have been a teacher, I have been an official of the Government of India, I have been a member of this greatest of Parliaments, but I have never forgotten my life as a young boy in a distant village. 

Every day that I have been Prime Minister of India I have tried to remember that the first ten years of my life were spent in a village with no drinking water supply, no electricity, no hospital, no roads and nothing that we today associate with modern living. I had to walk miles to school, I had to study in the dim light of a kerosene oil lamp. This nation gave me the opportunity to ensure that such would not be the life of our children in the foreseeable future. 

Sir, my conscience is clear that on every day that I have occupied this high office, I have tried to fulfill the dream of that young boy from that distant village. 

The greatness of democracy is that we are all birds of passage! We are here today, gone tomorrow! But in the brief time that the people of India entrust us with this responsibility, it is our duty to be honest and sincere in the discharge of these responsibilities. As it is said in our sacred texts, we are responsible for our actions and we must act without coveting the rewards of such action. Whatever I have done in this high office I have done so with a clear conscience and the best interests of my country and our people at heart. I have no other claims to make. 

====





No comments: