Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Tribute to a Rationalist - Dr. Narendra Dabholkar



On 22nd of August, I came home pretty late from office. It was a heavy work day. Immediately sat for dinner as a habit switched on the TV to check out news on Hindi News channels. While channel surfing a newsline on one channel,  caught my attention "Activist Narendra dabholkar shot dead in Pune". News was unexpected. It was great Shock as Dr. Narendra Dabholkar is well known person in my home town. so I switched to Marathi news channel to see details. Obviously for Marathi Newschannels, it was big breaking News as Dr. Narendra Dabholkar seems to be well known figure in Maharashtara. From Reactions coming from Various parts of Maharashtra, It seemed like, whole of Maharashtra was in shocked state.

 I felt proud to see, such a simple man getting so much support from people due to his work and his thoughts. Otherwise why would be Big city like Pune's core area will go for Band on their own without being forced on them.

Who was Dr. Narendra Dabholkar? WHy was I so concerned?
If you are resident of India, you would know who is Narendra dabholkar as His martyrdom got such a coverage from national media, which even any very famous politico or Bollywood would not get.  Answer to other is, I have heard this name since my childhood, He was known personality in my hometown, Satara. Anti superstition knowledge were common to us and very uncommon to have for a students in small school in small town back in 1990s. But Thanks to Narendra dabholkar and some of our teacher who was assisting Dabholkar in his AntiSuperstition movements.  Though I am not in the fortunate once who got to work with him.



Great Sports Person!I heard his name for Anti-superstition movement but few months back I amazed to see his name being referenced in Sports news section. There was big kabaddi event in Maharashtra and People were getting crazy about a guy for "Hanuman Udi" (Hanuman Jump).  Newspaper and Many sportsman remembered "Dr. Narendra Dabholkar" for same thing. I was amazed and amused knowing about all roundedness of this man.  These guys fired on his back like coward, I still imagine if these assassins have had come from front, even at his old age, He would have easily dodged bullets and would have helped in nabbing these criminals But May be these guys too have known this.

His efforts in various fields did help Maharashtra to be progressive state.

I am not finding proper words for writing about this Great Man but with Heavy Heart I say Good bye to such a great man. His work is totally inspirational and he would be great role model for anyone wants to contribute to societies well being without expecting any return but goodwill.

I hope to take inspiration from him for his rationalism and support any movement which will help India to go next and Will not fear about talking against any irrational thing I do see.

I would ask readers of this blog to take 5-10 minutes of your time to read a bit about Dr. Narendra Dabholkar's Mission and Contribute your bit, by Speaking Against any wrongness or Blind Beliefs you see.

No comments: