Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Linux Mint 10 - Sound problem (Solved)

We have installed Linux Mint 10 on one of our machines, I chose Linux Mint because its based on Ubuntu and had impressive UI.

but after sometime, got complaint that sound is not working on it. then I rememberd my year long struggle during my college days to make sound working on Redhat-Athlon machine of mine, which didnt work.

Today no one was using m/c, so I just gave a try to make it work. and it worked.

Here is how.
I searched on google..after frantic search for 10-15 minutes. I got following link
Linux Mint Forum - Sound problem

I followed advice from someone called  "mads"

1. Run
$ cat /proc/asound/modules'
The output shows the modules.
0 snd_intel8x0
1 snd_hda_intel


2. Add the following lines at the end of your alsa-base.conf file:
# The next two lines prevent my sound modules from switching
options snd_intel8x0 index=0
options snd_hda_intel index=1
Save and exit. Reboot to make changes take effect





Use AlsaMixer to adjust volume.







for me
$ cat /proc/asound/modules gave
  1 snd_hda_intel


2nd step i followed as it is.
alsa-base.conf is resides in /etc/mod-probe.d/ 


I rebooted  m/c and login welcomed me with Sweet Startup Sound!
lekin picture abhi baki hai mere dost.. I played a song in mplayer and it didnt work. 


I thought I might need to do something extra. but just pulling headphone jack out and putting in solved the problem.


Music is now enabled on Linux Mint 10.




















No comments: